Widener University is currently seeking a Director of Maintenance. The Director is responsible to plan, organize, oversee and direct the maintenance and repair of all aspects of campus grounds and buildings, including oversight of a staff of approximately 38 full-time skilled professionals including carpenters, electricians, plumbers, painters, HVAC Technicians, grounds crew, athletics crew, and movers. This team handles about 10,000 work and preventative maintenance requests each year.
Reporting to the Executive Director of Facilities Management, this role ensures timely and thorough responses to the needs of the University community using collaborative and well communicated approaches with stakeholders at all levels. Additionally, the Director will focus on considering and supporting the students, faculty, and staff of Widener first in all decisions that are recommended or made.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: (include but are not limited to)
- Plan, organize, oversee and direct the maintenance and repair of all aspects of campus grounds, buildings, and athletic facilities. Direct and take action on facility needs, including actions related to planned and deferred maintenance. Oversee scheduling and completion of approximately 10,000 work orders per year.
- Direct, supervise, and approve expenditures for maintenance specific projects.
- Oversee maintenance, repairs and inventory of all university kitchen equipment, maintenance vehicles and equipment.
- Direct and manage the selection of external vendors including but not limited to landscaping, painting, carpentry, plumbing, electrical, mechanical, and HVAC. Negotiate campus-wide contracts including, but not limited to: trash removal, exterminator, elevator service, kitchen equipment services, water treatment, generator services, duct cleaning, field lighting, swimming pool testing, snow removal (for some areas), window cleaning.
- Ensure full compliance with, all regulatory laws, rules, and regulations which affect hazardous chemicals that are used, generated, handled, disposed, or controlled by the departments under the responsibility of the Compliance Office
- Responsible for approximately 45 University-owned housing properties; inspect, maintain and renovate as needed; maintain outside ground of these properties.
- Responsible for off campus property maintenance and landscaping, to include: Widener Partnership Charter School, Pizzeria Uno Restaurant, Bell Property, Billie Kirkbride House, and Balin House.
- Supervise staff (currently 7 direct reports), including hiring, scheduling and assigning work, reviewing performance, training and professional development, and recommend and/or implement salary increases, promotions, transfers, demotions.
- Supervise outside contractors as required.
- Plan and budget for expenditures in collaboration with senior management and service partners. Monitor and control budgetary variances.
- Maintain effective systems for preparing budgets, monitoring them and evaluating programmatic outcomes concerning the resources expended:
- maintains records of schedules, workloads, man-hours, and costs for analysis
- analyzes costs, project programs and prepares budget requests for maintenance
- Interpret operating results as they impact the programs and makes specific recommendations which will result in improved services and/or cost reductions.
- Identify opportunities for improving department and procedures; implement improvements and conduct quality reviews periodically/as needed.
- Formulate and institute policies and devise work methods governing the maintenance and operation of the buildings, utility systems and grounds.
- Establish and define goals and objectives for maintenance programs.
- Analyze maintenance issues and establish standards for mechanical and electrical systems and for other items having impact on the maintenance operation.
- Develop equipment inventory list and ensure maintenance of all departmental assets at each location.
- Assist in identifying projects, compile cost estimates, and prepare budget requests for projects related to Maintenance operational and campus utility needs.
- Coordinate with City of Chester regarding appropriate projects
- Work with facilities management on selection and oversight of outside consultants and inspection of construction contracts to ensure adherence to plans and specifications.
- Work with Sr. VP and AVP of Administration and Finance and Facilities Management Counterparts on long-range planning
- Collaborate with and work in an advisory capacity to senior leadership of University to determine long-term goals, resources planning, operational expectations and best practices.
- Ensure compliance with applicable federal, state, local regulations e.g. codes, PCB’s, asbestos removal, etc.
- Perform other such duties as may be agreed upon for the effective discharge of the responsibilities of the position.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: (Education/Training and Experience Required):
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration or related field
- 7+ years progressively responsible facilities management experience, with at least four years at the supervisory level
- Demonstrated success in developing teams and leading others.
- Superior interpersonal skills; excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to identify problems and implement creative cost effective solutions to complex problems.
- Demonstrated ability in establishing and maintaining collaborative relationships with a full range of campus and external constituents.
- Demonstrated commitment to customer service.
- Experience in working with groups of diverse individuals.
- Knowledge of modern facilities management trends.
- Expertise in developing and executing preventive maintenance programs.
- Proficiency in developing and working with facility budgets.
- Experience in developing, maintaining and operating a modern comprehensive work order system.
- Demonstrated knowledge of all federal, state, and local ordinances affecting university and community structures and grounds.
- Experience in leading a maintenance team in higher education.
- Experience in a trade or related field
Physical Requirements and/or Unusual Work Hours:
- Assigned responsibility for participation and supervision of maintenance effort during weekend or holiday periods.
- Must be able to move throughout assigned areas, as the work is performed primarily out-of-doors, year round.
- Employees in this job classification are designated as essential employees and must report to work as scheduled when University offices are closed due to severe weather.
- Ability to walk up and down stairs, sit for long periods of time, to stoop, bend or twist.
- Ability to be mobile between work station and other locations on campus.
- Routine exposure to outside environment and extremes in weather conditions; physical activity which may be demanding; routine periods of sitting, walking, standing and climbing stairs; may be required to lift and/or drag weight in excess of 10 pounds. Occasional bending, twisting, stooping or kneeling; occasional running and jumping.
***Qualified applicants must submit a resume, cover letter and salary expectations for consideration. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
**Qualified candidates must submit resume and cover letter for consideration. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Only those selected to interview will be contacted.
Widener has a strategic commitment to building an inclusive university community whose diversity enriches the lives of all members and where our students are prepared for living in a pluralistic and ever-changing world. As a leading metropolitan university, Widener strives to embody the values that are inherent in our mission: civic engagement, access, inclusion, academic excellence, innovation, and leadership.
Widener University, an independent, metropolitan, doctoral-intensive University, connects curricula to social issues through civic engagement. Dynamic teaching, active scholarship, personal attention and experiential learning are key components of the Widener Experience. Located in Chester, PA, Widener's main campus is nestled between Philadelphia, PA and Wilmington, DE, with Law School located in both Harrisburg and Wilmington. For more information about the University, please visit our website at www.widener.edu.