Widener University has established a COVID-19 vaccination policy that requires all faculty, staff and students who will be on our campuses to become fully vaccinated by August 2, 2021. Our goal is that all members of the Pride may safely experience Widener's hands on, inclusive, and personalized learning environment in person.
Widener University is currently seeking a Network Engineer in the Information Services division. Reporting to the Director of Network Services, this role will be responsible to ensure the stability and integrity of in-house voice, data, video and wireless network services through planning, designing, and developing local area networks (LANs) and wide area networks (WANs) across the organization. In addition, the Network Engineer will participate with the installation, monitoring, maintenance, support, and optimization of all network hardware, software, and communication links.
Widener University is committed to fostering an environment in which faculty, staff, and students from a variety of backgrounds, cultures, and personal experiences are welcomed and can thrive. The Library and Information Services holds a deep commitment to an inclusive culture that supports the work of faculty and staff members across the institution, and works closely with the Chief Diversity Officer to facilitate that commitment. Faculty and staff are active participants in our work to enhance diversity, equity, & inclusion.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (including, but not limited to):
- Design and deploy company LANs, WANs, and wireless networks, including servers, routers, switches, UPSs, and other hardware.
- Analyze and resolve network hardware and software problems in a timely and accurate fashion and provide end user training where required.
- Design, implement, and support firewalls, site-to-site VPNs, and remote-access VPNs Conduct research on network products, services, protocols, and standards to remain abreast of developments in the networking industry.
- Oversee new and existing equipment, hardware, and software upgrades.
- Interact and negotiate with vendors, outsourcers, and contractors to secure network products and services.
- Configure networks to ensure their smooth and reliable operation for fulfilling business objectives and processes.
- Monitor network performance and troubleshoot problem areas as needed.
- Maintain network asset management, including maintenance of network component inventory and related documentation and technical specifications information.
- Monitor and test network performance and provide network performance statistics and reports.
- Participate in managing all network security solutions.
- Collaborate with director of network services to assess near- and long-term network capacity needs.
- Create and maintain documentation as it relates to network configuration, network mapping, processes, and service records.
- Strong interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills.
- Able to conduct research into networking issues and products as required.
- Highly self-motivated and directed, with keen attention to detail.
- Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Able to effectively prioritize tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Strong customer service orientation.
- Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- Any other duties appropriate to the grade of the post as required by this role.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS (education/training and experience required):
- Bachelor's degree or 3 or more years of network administration experience and certifications. A combination of education, relative work experience and certifications may be considered.
- Experience and success with LAN, WAN, and WLAN design and implementation.
- Experience with network capacity planning, network security principles, and general network management best practices.
- Deep knowledge of core routing and switching design principles, best practices, and related technologies.
- Working technical knowledge of current network hardware, protocols, and Internet standards, including routers, switches (layer 2/3), firewalls, Wi-Fi, VPN, DNS, OSPF, VLAN, and QoS.
- Excellent hardware troubleshooting experience.
- Experience with network monitoring and analysis software.
- Competence with testing tools and procedures for voice, video and data circuits.
- Bachelor's degree in technical field and 5 years' work experience in the field.
- Experience in implementing and managing PBX and voice over IP (VoIP) systems.
- Experience with Aruba Wi-Fi implementation and management.
- Experience with Extreme Networks, Fortinet Appliances, and Infoblox DHCP & DNS Appliances.
- Certifications are a plus.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND/OR UNUSUAL HOURS:
- Partial remote work possible.
- This position may require nights, weekend and unusual hours depending on project or ongoing university programs.
- Lifting devices up to 50 lbs.
Qualified candidates must submit resume and cover letter for consideration. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Only those selected to interview will be contacted.
Widener has a strategic commitment to building an inclusive university community whose diversity enriches the lives of all members and where our students are prepared for living in a pluralistic and ever-changing world. As a leading metropolitan university, Widener strives to embody the values that are inherent in our mission: civic engagement, access, inclusion, academic excellence, innovation and leadership.
Widener University, an independent, metropolitan, doctoral-intensive university, connects curricula to social issues through civic engagement. Dynamic teaching, active scholarship, personal attention and experiential learning are key components of the Widener Experience. Located in Chester, PA, Widener's main campus is nestled between Philadelphia, PA and Wilmington, DE, with Law Schools located in both Harrisburg and Wilmington. For more information about the university, please visit our website at www.widener.edu.