Widener University has established a COVID-19 vaccination policy that requires all faculty, staff and students who will be on our campuses to become fully vaccinated by August 2, 2021. Our goal is that all members of the Pride may safely experience Widener's hands on, inclusive, and personalized learning environment in person.
Widener University is currently seeking a Web Content Manager in University Relations. This role reports to the Director of Digital Communications and provides support to the digital communications team. This position is responsible for supporting the creation and maintenance of content on the university’s main campus website. This position is the main point of contact, advising campus partners on the best methods to clearly and effectively present content on the website. In addition, they train and support a core group of web editors on the process and various tools to keep web content fresh and up to date.
The ideal candidate is a skilled web writer with a strong understanding of content strategy and content management systems. They have an eye for editorial consistency, and an ability to follow brand and editorial guidelines, including voice, tone, and style. They are knowledgeable of current and developing digital technologies and comfortable working with digital platforms. In support of the university’s marketing efforts, this position has a hand in managing video production and photo shoots.
Widener University is committed to fostering an environment in which faculty, staff, and students from a variety of backgrounds, cultures, and personal experiences are welcomed and can thrive. The division of University Advancement holds a deep commitment to an inclusive culture that supports the work of faculty and staff members across the institution. and works closely with the Chief Diversity Officer to facilitate that commitment.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (including, but not limited to):
- Support maintenance of the university’s Main Campus website (www.widener.edu) to ensure content remains up-to-date and accurate
- Partner with vendors, communications team writers, and campus partners to manage strategic production of web content
- Write, proofread, and edit web content ensuring consistency and compliance with web style and content and branding guidelines
- Oversee digital assets used on the website, including images, videos, and files
- Train and support campus-wide departmental web editors and content approvers on the use of the Drupal content management system and the process for developing new / revising existing content for the web
- Develop training materials and documentation to support campus teams in maintaining their web pages
- Maintain web management documentation and editorial calendars to support the ongoing oversight and timely revision of content on the web
- Manage and continually refine web management processes
- Ability to assist in producing video content from project concept to final delivery, including managing freelance or student videographers, video storyboarding/scripting, and guiding edits
- Leverage quality assurance and analytics tools (e.g., SiteImprove, Google Analytics) to identify issues with site content or performance, present opportunities, support decision-making, and measure success
- Collaborate with Digital Experience Manager to refine the customer experience, especially as it relates to enrollment of students on the website
- Work in collaboration with the digital team to ensure website accessibility compliance and search engine optimization
- Responsible for posting emergency crisis information on the website
- Supervise student worker
- Actively contribute to innovative strategies and provide creative ideas that continually improve web presence and user experience
- Duties are complex and varied. Moderate analytical and research ability is usual.
- Expected to identify problems and determine the standard solution to be utilized
- Occasionally handles confidential information
- Responsible for own work; may assist in training new employees or in answering questions directly related to position function
- In-depth knowledge of future work and projects requiring complex planning, usually months in advance.
- Regular contact outside the department/university involving moderately technical and complex matters.
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops, reviewing professional publications, and establishing professional and personal networks.
- Contribute to the overall success of University Relations and the university by performing other duties and responsibilities as needed
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS (education/training and experience required):
- Bachelor's degree and one to three years of web content development/management experience, or an equivalent combination of skills, abilities, education, and experience
- Experience maintaining and developing content for a large-scale website; knowledge of web content management systems (Drupal preferred) and proficiency with Microsoft Office
- Experience providing technical training and support and developing associated training materials
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including superior command of the English language, grammar, and spelling
- Superior interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to interact effectively
- Must be organized, flexible, and able to handle several tasks simultaneously and independently.
- Knowledge of photo and video editing software such as Adobe Photoshop, Premiere, and After Effects
- Knowledge of digital marketing, analytics, and/or ability to learn
- Remain current on website trends, web and social media platforms, and other related technology as it evolves
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND/OR UNUSUAL HOURS:
- Usual office environment; heavy walk-in traffic; high level of interaction with others in person, high level of interaction with others electronically or via telephone
- Occasionally standing, walking or climbing stairs; mobility between office and other offices/buildings on campus.
- Flexible schedule, night and weekend work may be required
Qualified candidates must submit resume and cover letter for consideration. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Only those selected to interview will be contacted.
Widener has a strategic commitment to building an inclusive university community whose diversity enriches the lives of all members and where our students are prepared for living in a pluralistic and ever-changing world. As a leading metropolitan university, Widener strives to embody the values that are inherent in our mission: civic engagement, access, inclusion, academic excellence, innovation and leadership.
Widener University, an independent, metropolitan, doctoral-intensive university, connects curricula to social issues through civic engagement. Dynamic teaching, active scholarship, personal attention and experiential learning are key components of the Widener Experience. Located in Chester, PA, Widener's main campus is nestled between Philadelphia, PA and Wilmington, DE, with Law Schools located in both Harrisburg and Wilmington. For more information about the university, please visit our website at www.widener.edu.