Widener University has established a COVID-19 vaccination policy that requires all faculty and staff who will be on our campuses to be fully vaccinated as a condition of employment. Our goal is that all members of the Pride may safely experience Widener's hands on, inclusive, and personalized learning environment in person.
Widener University is currently seeking a Financial Aid Counselor in the department of Financial Aid/Enrollment Management Services. Reporting to the Associate Director of Financial Aid Services, this position is located on the main campus in Chester, PA, and is responsible for awarding and processing undergraduate student financial aid; counseling students and families about financial aid options, policies and procedures; prepare financial aid offers for specialized population cohorts as assigned.
Widener University is committed to fostering an environment in which faculty, staff, and students from a variety of backgrounds, cultures, and personal experiences are welcomed and can thrive. The division of Administration and Finance holds a deep commitment to an inclusive culture that supports the work of faculty and staff members across the institution, and works closely with the Chief Diversity Officer to facilitate that commitment.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: (include but not limited to)
- Prepare financial aid awards for undergraduate students, resolve eligibility discrepancies; perform tax verification, process loans.
- Counsel students, parents, and administrators regarding financial aid, payment plans, bills, and financing alternatives.
- Make presentations to general public about financial aid.
- Utilize Ellucian/Colleague for packaging and access other online federal/state agencies for loan certification and precertification.
- Utilize FAA access, COD and the NSLDS to review and update student information.
- Review documentation for integrity and determine institutional, state, and federal aid eligibility.
- Implement, understand, and interpret federal, state, and institutional guidelines, and procedures to assist students in obtaining financial aid.
- Act as liaison to Specific Programs at the University and externally.
- Decisions usually affect other functions within the University.
- Duties are moderately complex and fairly varied. Analytic ability is required. The incumbent has limited alternative actions and is expected to make routine decisions. A supervisor is available for non-basic questions.
- Routinely handles confidential information.
- Responsible for own work; may assist in training new employees or in answering questions directly related to position function.
- Requires general knowledge of future work and projects requiring moderate planning.
- Regular contact outside the department/university involving routine exchange of information.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned or directed.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: (Education/Training and Experience Required):
- Bachelor’s degree
- Demonstrated ability to utilize a personal computer, applicable software such as Excel and other MS Office products, e-mail and the internet.
- Must be organized, flexible, and able to handle several tasks simultaneously.
- Experience in composing routine business correspondence.
- Superior interpersonal skills and excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Must maintain a positive attitude and provide a positive customer service experience to students, staff, and faculty.
- Ability to read and follow oral and written instructions.
- Demonstrated ability to interact effectively with students, support and professional staff, faculty, and external constituents.
- Perform basic mathematical computations
- Experience in utilizing an administrative database system to administer a financial aid program (Ellucian/Colleague)
- 2+ years working with Financial Aid
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND/OR UNUSUAL HOURS:
- Ability to be mobile between workstation and various campus buildings and all locations in the building.
- Must be able to routinely sit at desk or table and work on computer for long periods of time (2+ hours), have basic manual dexterity, and lift less than 25 lbs.
Employee will have professional development available each year.
*Qualified candidates must submit resume and cover letter for consideration. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Widener has a strategic commitment to building an inclusive university community whose diversity enriches the lives of all members and where our students are prepared for living in a pluralistic and ever-changing world. As a leading metropolitan university, Widener strives to embody the values that are inherent in our mission: civic engagement, access, inclusion, academic excellence, innovation, and leadership.
Widener University, an independent, metropolitan, doctoral-intensive University, connects curricula to social issues through civic engagement. Dynamic teaching, active scholarship, personal attention and experiential learning are key components of the Widener Experience. Located in Chester, PA, Widener's main campus is nestled between Philadelphia, PA and Wilmington, DE, with Law School located in both Harrisburg and Wilmington. For more information about the University, please visit our website at www.widener.edu.