Widener University has established a COVID-19 vaccination policy that requires all faculty and staff who will be on our campuses to be fully vaccinated as a condition of employment. Our goal is that all members of the Pride may safely experience Widener's hands on, inclusive, and personalized learning environment in person.
Widener University is currently seeking a Director for International Student Services and Study Abroad programs in Student Affairs for the Center of Civic and Global Engagement. This role reports to the Executive Director and works closely with the Center team, faculty serving as academic advisors, and those serving on Center advisory boards as it pertains to international students and global engagement. The position provides institution-wide leadership for international student services and study abroad programs within the Center.
Widener University is committed to fostering an environment in which faculty, staff, and students from a variety of backgrounds, cultures, and personal experiences are welcomed and can thrive. The division of Academic and Student Affairs holds a deep commitment to an inclusive culture that supports the work of faculty and staff members across the institution, and works closely with the Chief Diversity Officer to facilitate that commitment. Faculty and staff are active participants in our work to enhance diversity, equity, & inclusion, including representation on the Faculty Council Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee and the Diversity Leadership and Inclusion Council.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (including, but not limited to):
- Serve as Primary Designated School Official (PDSO) and Responsible Office (RO) for student visa holders’ population for the Chester campus.
- Oversee immigration compliance with regulations for the F-1 visa program and J -1 visa program.
- Advise F and J international students on immigration matters.
- Serve as campus liaison with the department of homeland security, the department of state, the department of labor, and other federal authorities and organizations.
- Serve as liaison to campus stakeholders in regard to the intersection of immigration regulation and academic success.
- Serve as advocate to support the University and division’s strategic diversity initiatives to create a welcoming campus for all students by incorporating multicultural perspectives and frameworks into Center program
- Partner with campus stakeholders to improve services and updated policies to enhance the experience for international students and faculty
- Oversee global engagement activities, including exchange program management (National Student Exchange) and collaborates with faculty advisors for study abroad
- Design, promote and work with the CCGE team to implement programmatic activities that support international students and showcase the important role that internationalization plays in the university’s education, research, and clinical missions
- Represent the institution and collaborates with key constituent groups, both internally and externally such as NAFSA: Association of International Educators
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS (education/training and experience required):
- Master’s degree and six years experience in higher education
- Experience in global education or international student services
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office software programs
- Ability to learn new technology and is self-motivated to stay current with emerging technologies.
- Advanced knowledge of Terra Dotta
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND/OR UNUSUAL HOURS:
- May need to be available early morning, evening, and weekends, and may need to participate in international travel as needed, to meet the needs of the department.
- Lifting up to 25 lbs.
- Frequent walking, standing and climbing stairs
- Good manual dexterity
- Usual office environment: routine sitting at a desk occasionally standing, bending, stooping or kneeling
- Ability to be mobile between workstation and other buildings on campus
Qualified candidates must submit resume and cover letter for consideration. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Only those selected to interview will be contacted.
Widener has a strategic commitment to building an inclusive university community whose diversity enriches the lives of all members and where our students are prepared for living in a pluralistic and ever-changing world. As a leading metropolitan university, Widener strives to embody the values that are inherent in our mission: civic engagement, access, inclusion, academic excellence, innovation and leadership.
Widener University, an independent, metropolitan, doctoral-intensive university, connects curricula to social issues through civic engagement. Dynamic teaching, active scholarship, personal attention and experiential learning are key components of the Widener Experience. Located in Chester, PA, Widener's main campus is nestled between Philadelphia, PA and Wilmington, DE, with Law Schools located in both Harrisburg and Wilmington. For more information about the university, please visit our website at www.widener.edu.