Widener University is currently seeking a Digital Development Officer (DDO) in the Annual Giving unit of the Office of Development and Alumni Engagement. Reporting to the Executive Director of Individual Giving and Stewardship, this role supports the Annual Giving program. The DDO is responsible for managing and soliciting mid-level and multi-year gifts from alumni, as well as qualifying donors for major gifts. The DDO will be a highly motivated professional deeply involved in building a donor pipeline to support Widener’s fundraising goals.
Through a bold and innovative approach, the DDO will use a combination of digital channels and tactics to build this program through relationships with supporters at scale and inspire support of the university. Using a variety of digital tools, this position will conduct personal outreach with their assigned portfolio of approximately 750 annual giving prospects to build a pipeline of future leadership giving donors.
Why work at Widener? At Widener University, we strive to deliver a comprehensive benefits package developed to attract and retain talent. We offer employees the opportunity to participate in a variety of benefit program including health & welfare, retirement accounts, tuition programs at Widener University, life insurance, paid time off, and flexible work arrangements for many roles.
Widener University is committed to fostering an environment in which faculty, staff, and students from a variety of backgrounds, cultures, and personal experiences are welcomed and can thrive. University Advancement holds a deep commitment to an inclusive culture that supports the work of faculty and staff members across the institution and works closely with the Chief Diversity Officer to facilitate that commitment.
Widener University has established a COVID-19 vaccination policy that requires all faculty and staff who will be on our campuses to be fully vaccinated and compliant as a condition of employment. Our goal is that all members of the Pride may safely experience Widener's hands on, inclusive, and personalized learning environment in person.
In addition to the above COVID-19 statement, all employees, who do not already have an approved exemption, are also required to receive a booster dose no more than 7 days after you become eligible.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (including, but not limited to):
- Build relationships with a portfolio of 750 prospects and generate 300-400 touchpoints per month for the purpose of engagement, retention, reactivation, revenue generation, and stewardship.
- Establish a regular cadence of communication touchpoints using a variety of digital channels including social media platforms, email, text, and video.
- Create messaging which allows for widescale engagement of portfolio through multiple channels to inspire philanthropic giving.
- Develop segmented, individual, digital micro-engagement opportunities.
- Integrate with annual giving campaigns to align philanthropic messaging to portfolio with wider University Advancement initiatives.
- Make alumni referrals to alumni engagement officers and identify major gift prospects to be qualified and engaged by campus wide gift officers, as appropriate.
- Collaborate with colleagues to help align donors’ philanthropic interests with various priorities across campus.
- Attend a variety of events throughout the year to support the essential fundraising strategy. Occasional travel and night and weekend work are required.
- Creative approach to strategic marketing to members of an assigned portfolio, at mass and at a one-to-one level.
- Ability to inspire and share stories of impact verbally and through visual mediums
- Become an expert in the engagement and giving opportunities across the university to customize experiences and opportunities for individual prospects.
- Perform other duties as required or assigned.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS (education/training and experience required):
- Bachelor’s degree in related field
- Minimum 2 years’ experience in development, fundraising, annual giving or related field,(sales, marketing), etc. from which comparable knowledge and skills can be acquired is necessary . An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Demonstrated entrepreneurial mindset with proven execution
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain positive relationships and actively contribute as a member of working teams to achieve results.
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong relationship building skills
- Strong project management skills and ability to implement new processes and strategies
- Strong commitment to customer service
- Strong presentation skills
- Ability to work independently, problem-solve, take initiative, set priorities and handle multiple projects efficiently and effectively.
- Curiosity about the role and embracing innovative approaches to fundraising
- Proven demonstration of perseverance in challenging work environment
- Ability to maintain a positive approach in client service culture.
- 3+years of successful experience in fundraising, annual giving, or closely related field
- Understanding of the development process and donor cycle
- Sales experience
- Experience in higher education and/or fundraising
- Experience in a data-driven environment
- Experience using Raiser’s Edge software
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND/OR UNUSUAL HOURS:
- Ability and willingness to travel locally and overnight travel as needed
- Ability and willingness to work evenings and weekends required.
- Ability to stand for long periods of time at campus events, presentations or other related events
Qualified candidates must submit a resume and cover letter for consideration. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Only those selected to interview will be contacted.
Widener has a strategic commitment to building an inclusive university community whose diversity enriches the lives of all members and where our students are prepared for living in a pluralistic and ever-changing world. As a leading metropolitan university, Widener strives to embody the values that are inherent in our mission: civic engagement, access, inclusion, academic excellence, innovation and leadership.
Widener University, an independent, metropolitan, doctoral-intensive university, connects curricula to social issues through civic engagement. Dynamic teaching, active scholarship, personal attention and experiential learning are key components of the Widener Experience. Located in Chester, PA, Widener's main campus is nestled between Philadelphia, PA and Wilmington, DE, with Law Schools located in both Harrisburg and Wilmington. For more information about the university, please visit our website at www.widener.edu.