Widener University is seeking an Administrative Support Specialist to provide administrative support to the Center for Graduate and Continuing Studies. This role supports the online programs in the Center, course coordination/scheduling, faculty concerns, systems/process management, and typical office functions. The position ensures efficient office operation for the unit.
Widener University is committed to fostering an environment in which faculty, staff, and students from a variety of backgrounds, cultures, and personal experiences are welcomed and can thrive. The Center for Graduate and Continuing Studies holds a deep commitment to an inclusive culture that supports the work of faculty and staff members across the institution, and works closely with the Chief Diversity Officer to facilitate that commitment.
Widener University has established a COVID-19 vaccination policy that requires all faculty and staff who will be on our campuses to be fully vaccinated and compliant as a condition of employment. Our goal is that all members of the Pride may safely experience Widener's hands on, inclusive, and personalized learning environment in person.
In addition to the above COVID-19 statement, all employees, who do not already have an approved exemption, are also required to receive a booster dose no more than 7 days after you become eligible.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (including, but not limited to):
- Maintain records and reports for all CS programs, including initial entry and updates of data for admissions, enrollment and completion in Excel each semester.
- Updates and distributes regular admission data reports.
- Gather and compile data to assist in development of strategic enrollment plans
- Interacts regularly with faculty and arranges and schedules CS Academic Council meetings. Provides support to CS Academic Council.
- Answer main office telephone, take messages, screen calls, faxes and emails and reply to questions in accordance with general instructions and office procedures and policies; transmit instructions and/or information to and from staff members.
- Maintains calendars, schedules appointment and meetings; assists the deans in planning, maintaining and implementing programs, academic calendar and events; coordinates activities with external entities.
- Prepares proofs, disseminates, organizes and files letters, emails, reports, memorandum from rough draft and corrected copy.
- Develops, organizes and maintains departmental files.
- Sorts mail and delivers to appropriate individual
- Orders office supplies and ensures maintenance of office equipment and facilities in proper repair.
- Processes invoice payments and check requests.
- Assists with recruitment travel arrangements.
Course Coordination and Schedules
- Prepares course schedules, and input courses in Colleague
- Coordinate with Registrar regarding room assignments, room changes, class cancellations, course creations, etc. Run projections and prepare enrollment reports each semester.
- Prepare Course Evaluations using Canvas for all courses. Upload all results to the OneDrive and share results with departments.
- Coordinate with faculty regarding course availability and assignments; and prepare faculty contracts.
- Coordinate with Human Resources to ensure all faculty received contracts to teach each semester.
- Send roster checks to teaching faculty every semester to better assist and retain struggling students.
- Work with faculty on book assignments for each course.
- Updated faculty materials (ex. CVs, approved course list, contracts, availability, etc.)
- Monitor final grade submissions and process payment for independent studies, practicums, internships, and directed studies.
- Using campus-based and external systems, run reports, perform data entry, process payments and coordinate scheduling
- Communicate with system offices externally regarding memberships, payments, orders and credentialing
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS (education/training and experience required):
- Minimum 5+ years of secretarial/administrative experience in an office environment supporting senior level staff
- High school degree or equivalent
- Demonstrated organizational skills, flexibility and adaptability
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task with exceptional attention to detail
- Strong proficiency with Microsoft Office suite especially Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint;
- Aptitude and willingness to learn new technology systems, including but not limited, to student information system and learning management system.
- Enthusiastic, organized self-starter capable of working independently and as a part of team supporting creative people.
- Expert verbal communication skills and correct command of English language grammar and usage are essential to succeed in this position.
- Superior written communication skills, including letters, email, voice-mail, and one-on-one.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Experience with enterprise systems, student information systems and LMS
- Experience with adult learners and/or online education
- Experience in customer service
- Experience in Higher Education or a school office
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND/OR UNUSUAL HOURS:
- Lifting up to 25 lbs.
- Ability to sit and work at computer for extended period of time
- Frequent walking, standing and climbing stairs
- Good manual dexterity
- Ability to be mobile between workstation and other buildings on campus
Qualified candidates must submit resume and cover letter for consideration. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Only those selected to interview will be contacted.
Widener has a strategic commitment to building an inclusive university community whose diversity enriches the lives of all members and where our students are prepared for living in a pluralistic and ever-changing world. As a leading metropolitan university, Widener strives to embody the values that are inherent in our mission: civic engagement, access, inclusion, academic excellence, innovation and leadership.
Widener University, an independent, metropolitan, doctoral-intensive university, connects curricula to social issues through civic engagement. Dynamic teaching, active scholarship, personal attention and experiential learning are key components of the Widener Experience. Located in Chester, PA, Widener's main campus is nestled between Philadelphia, PA and Wilmington, DE, with Law Schools located in both Harrisburg and Wilmington. For more information about the university, please visit our website at www.widener.edu.