Widener University is currently seeking an Electrician – A in our Facilities Management Department. Reporting to the Assistant Director for Mechanical Electrical and Plumbing Systems and with minimum supervision, the Electrician-A installs, troubleshoots and repairs electrically energized equipment, components, conduits and wiring to provide safe and comfortable facilities for students, faculty, and staff. The Electrician may be required to perform work on power distribution systems, building electrical systems, and other electrical systems (building access, fire/security systems, audio visual, and building automation systems).
Facilities Management staff are responsible to provide safe and beautiful facilities that support the academic mission and campus operations. The Facilities Management Mission is to continuously improve the services we provide and make the experience of students, faculty, staff, and visitors the best it can possibly be. Every staff member may be assigned duties within their capacity aside from duties that are their technical expertise, and every staff member is empowered to perform tasks within their capacity to achieve this Mission.
This position is essential and is required to report and remain on campus in response to emergencies even when normal university operations are cancelled or suspended. This position may also be required to work weekends and off-hours to support weekend operations and special events.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (including, but not limited to):
- Operates, maintains, troubleshoots, and repairs, as required, building electrical equipment and fixtures consistent with manufacturer's guidelines, design parameters, and accepted practices.
- Installs electrical fixtures including but not limited to services, conduit, panels, motor starters, control panels, and other equipment and fixtures as required.
- Inspects, operates, maintains troubleshoots, installs, and repairs building electrical equipment, fixtures and components (including 208v and 480v, single and three phase systems) in accordance with generally accepted practices, codes, and manufacturers requirements;
- Maintains, makes operational repairs and performs preventative maintenance tasks for residential and commercial-type electrical equipment and fixtures.
- Operates and keeps in good working order a variety of equipment including hand and power tools, mobile electronic devices, measuring/diagnostic/testing meters and instruments.
- Reads and interprets complex blueprints, sketches, schematics, and wiring diagrams.
- Provides work order documentation, as required;
- Coordinates with other trades, as required, to ensure multi-trade projects are completed efficiently and completely;
- Maintains a professional appearance.
- Maintains a positive customer service orientation and attitude.
- Assists in furniture and event set ups and break downs, decorations for special functions, meetings, etc.
- Assists in emergency response events including snow removal operations.
- Cooperates with other university employees and related contractors to achieve the best possible outcomes
- Other duties as assigned and within capability
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS (education/training and experience required):
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Must possess valid driver’s license
- Meets all requirements of Electrician – B
- Five years continuous electrical maintenance and installation work
- Working knowledge of International Electric Code
- Knowledge of medium/low volage switchgear and associated controls
- Fully knowledgeable with all building power supply and distribution systems. Able to provide specifications, estimates and bill of materials for all electrical equipment installation and repairs.
- Must be able to read and interpret complex blueprints, drawings, sketches, and diagrams;
- Basic Microsoft Windows and Microsoft Outlook skills.
- Must have the ability to follow both verbal and written directions in English; the ability to interact with students, faculty, administration, and staff in a professional and positive manner, as well as the ability to read and understand NFPA and ICC codes and OSHA guidelines, such as Material Safety Data Sheets, equipment safety data plates, fuel/chemical flash points, etc.
- Trade school or electrical apprenticeship graduate
- Electrician’s license for the City of Chester
- Current certificate indicating successful completion of the International Code Council Master Electrician test or must have a current Master Electrician license from a class 1 municipality that uses a written ICC Masters test or approved equal
- Ten years recent full-time continuous experience in electrical work at the journeyman level (or above) in an institutional (university or hospital) setting;
- Experience operating and inspecting 13KV switchgear and transformers
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND/OR UNUSUAL HOURS:
- Must be able to stand, sit, bend, kneel, climb stairs, reach, and climb ladders;
- Must be able work in confined spaces and in elevated spaces (e.g. scaffold, bucket-truck platform, ladders, high-reach lifts);
- Must be able to lift 60 pounds at waist height and carry for 20 feet;
- Must be able to lift 40 pounds from ground to overhead;
- Must be able to shovel snow manually;
- Essential and required to report and remain on campus in response to emergencies and weather events even when normal business operations are cancelled or suspended;
- May be required to work on weekends and holidays to support weekend operations or special events
Qualified candidates must submit resume and cover letter for consideration. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Only those selected to interview will be contacted.
Widener University is committed to fostering an inclusive community in which faculty, staff, and students from a variety of backgrounds, cultures, and personal experiences are welcomed and can thrive. We are an equal opportunity employer and are committed to providing equal educational and employment opportunities for all persons without regard to age, color, national origin, race, religion, disability, veteran status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, or status as a protected veteran.
Widener University requires all prospective employees to provide proof of taking the primary vaccination series against COVID-19 prior to employment or apply and be approved for a medical/religious exemption. Offers may be rescinded if the new employee does not provide proof of taking the primary vaccination series in a timely manner.
Some positions may be eligible for a hybrid or remote work arrangement that may include a partially or fully remote work location, consistent with Widener’s Flexible Work policy.
Widener University, an independent, metropolitan, doctoral-intensive university, connects curricula to social issues through civic engagement. Dynamic teaching, active scholarship, personal attention and experiential learning are key components of the Widener Experience. Located in Chester, PA, Widener's main campus is nestled between Philadelphia, PA and Wilmington, DE, with Law Schools located in both Harrisburg and Wilmington. For more information about the university, please visit our website at www.widener.edu.