Widener University is currently seeking an Academic Secretary in the Institute for Occupational Therapy Education. Reporting to the Institute Program Director. This role provides support to the Institute for Occupational Therapy Education.
The College of Health and Human Services, which has a focus on inter-professional education, service, and research, houses programs in clinical psychology, education, human sexuality, occupational therapy, physical therapy, physician assistant, speech-language pathology and social work. Our students represent a multitude of diverse identities. We aspire to develop a College faculty, staff, and curriculum that is anti-racist, anti-oppressive and reflects and respects our professional values. We seek to create an intentionally diverse educational community in which students, staff, and faculty perspectives are valued and meaningfully incorporated into our work.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (including, but not limited to):
- Establish a welcoming, inclusive environment for all constituents of the Institute & College Administrative Team through effectively communication and interactions with persons of diverse backgrounds and abilities.
- Serve a first point of contact for communications with the Institute. Handles communications in a professional manner, responds to inquiries, screens and directs callers appropriately.
- Communicate, collect and organize all information that contributes to smooth operation of the Institute included by not limited to cohort schedules, Institute, College, and University calendars, course syllabi, faculty schedules, course evaluations, and student registration.
- Participate in the collection and synthesis of data needed for accreditation reports.
- Collaborate with the Program Director and College Administrative Team to manage budget, faculty adjunct and overload contracts.
- Takes and prepares minutes for faculty meetings.
- Collaborate with Program Director for the ordering of office & instructional supplies, book orders, special orders, and processing of expense reports.
- Organize new student orientation and events, graduation banquet, and other special events significant to the Institute and across the College.
- Support the Program Director in the management of scholarship applications & awards.
- Manage graduation processing and licensure verification for students within the Institute.
- Oversee Graduate Assistants and student workers serving within the Institute.
- Oversee physical plant and housekeeping of relevant spaces.
- Support management of calendar, appointments and meetings for the Program Director.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned or directed.
- Support all members of the College Administrative Team in tasks as needed.
- Work collaboratively with the Team to contribute to a positive work environment.
- Serve on specific College Administrative Teams as indicated.
- Assist in the coordination of College special events as needed.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS (education/training and experience required):
- High school diploma or general education degree.
- At least one year of administrative assistant experience in a service-oriented environment or any combination of experience, training or education, which provides the necessary skills, ability and knowledge.
- Prior experience in use of personal computers, applicable software and the internet; intermediate to advanced proficiency in Microsoft Office.
- Ability to perform basic arithmetic functions, bookkeeping, basic accounting, and basic statistics including programming of Excel spreadsheets
- Competence with data entry and ability to learn university Datatel/Colleague/Slate systems, Office365, Teams, and OneDrive.
- Ability to navigate web-based programs including, but not limited to, learning management system (Canvas) and teleconference software (Zoom).
- Superior interpersonal skills and oral and written communication skills.
- Three+ years of secretarial experience in a service-oriented environment
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND/OR UNUSUAL HOURS:
- Job requires ability to sit and work at computer for long periods. Ability to conduct business on phone and answer in a timely manner. Ability to move between offices, floors and buildings on campus.
- Some evenings and weekends may be required for events.
Qualified candidates must submit resume and cover letter for consideration. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Only those selected to interview will be contacted.
Widener University is committed to fostering an inclusive community in which faculty, staff, and students from a variety of backgrounds, cultures, and personal experiences are welcomed and can thrive. We are an equal opportunity employer and are committed to providing equal educational and employment opportunities for all persons without regard to age, color, national origin, race, religion, disability, veteran status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, or status as a protected veteran.
Widener University requires all prospective employees to provide proof of being fully vaccinated (including booster) against COVID-19 prior to employment or apply and be approved for a medical/religious exemption. Offers may be rescinded if new employee does not provide proof of being fully vaccinated in a timely manner.
Some positions may be eligible for a hybrid or remote work arrangement that may include a partially or fully remote work location, consistent with Widener’s Flexible Work policy.
Widener University, an independent, metropolitan, doctoral-intensive university, connects curricula to social issues through civic engagement. Dynamic teaching, active scholarship, personal attention and experiential learning are key components of the Widener Experience. Located in Chester, PA, Widener's main campus is nestled between Philadelphia, PA and Wilmington, DE, with Law Schools located in both Harrisburg and Wilmington. For more information about the university, please visit our website at www.widener.edu.