Widener University is currently seeking a full-time, 3rd Shift Campus Safety Sergeant. This position operates outdoors and averages 40 hours a week, 10 hours a day, 11:00 PM to 9:00 AM. This position reports to the Lieutenant on duty and also provides first-line supervision of all personnel assigned to their shift including, but not limited to, Campus Safety Officers, Corporals/ Dispatchers, van and shuttle drivers and student employees of the Office of Campus Safety. This position also provides support to visitors, students and staff on the Widener University campus.
Starting Shift Pay Rate – $18.33 per hour
Sign-On Bonus – All new hires who remain in good standing and successfully complete the training program become eligible to receive a one-time stipend of $500.00 after 3 months of employment. All new hires who are in good standing and successfully completed the training program, become eligible to receive another one-time stipend after 6 months of employment of $1,000.00.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (including, but not limited to):
- Sergeants are assigned to a specific shift. Primary type of patrol is foot patrol (which requires individuals to walk for their shift) across the University, throughout buildings, University properties and any designated area. Individuals may also have a specific area of assignment.
- Sergeants will manage their supervisory sector and the officers assigned to that area(s). They will supervise the response for any calls for service and criminal incidents that occur.
- Sergeants are required to perform associated supervisory duties as assigned by the Shift Lieutenant.
- Sergeants will respond to reports of irregularities such as fire hazards, facilities/mechanical malfunctions, physical altercations, accidents and criminal activities. Notifies dispatcher if police, fire or ambulance units are required.
- Prepares reports accurately and objectively detailing incidents on campus. Reviews all reports submitted by officers during the shift to ensure accuracy and completeness prior to being relieved of duty.
- Issues verbal warnings, parking citations, and authorizes the immobilization of vehicles in the absence of the Lieutenant.
- Assist the Lieutenant to provide on-the-job training of all personnel assigned to the shift and documentation of same.
- Perform duties of a dispatcher or Campus Safety Officer or Corporal as needed
- Interact with local and state police officials.
- Performs other duties as assigned or directed.
- Flexibility to work additional shifts as needed or required, including but not limited to the dispatch office
- Assist with University athletic/special events
- Able to operate the Campus1Card system and distribute parking permits
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS (education/training and experience required):
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Clean, valid driver’s license with evidence of insurability
- Three (3+) years progressive law enforcement, campus or public safety or related customer service experience.
- A minimum of one (1+) year of supervisory.
- Must have the ability to interact professionally with the public.
- Ability to supervise a small to medium sized campus safety staff.
- Must successfully pass a criminal background check to include the PA Criminal PA Child Abuse and FBI clearance
- Experience working in higher education or a school environment
- Law enforcement, military, campus or public safety experience
- Familiarity with the local area and surrounding community
- Knowledge of the Clery Act and associated regulations
- Knowledge of criminal laws and departmental regulations and procedures
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND/OR UNUSUAL HOURS:
- The ability to walk for extended periods of time.
- The ability to walk up and down steps both inside and outside of buildings.
- The ability to walk outdoors in your assigned area in all types of weather conditions.
- The ability to stand and/or sit for extended periods of time both inside and outside of buildings.
- The ability to lift objects weighing up to 35 lbs.
Qualified candidates must submit a resume and cover letter for consideration. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Only those selected to interview will be contacted.
Widener University is committed to fostering an inclusive community in which faculty, staff, and students from a variety of backgrounds, cultures, and personal experiences are welcomed and can thrive. We are an equal opportunity employer and are committed to providing equal educational and employment opportunities for all persons without regard to age, color, national origin, race, religion, disability, veteran status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, or status as a protected veteran.
Widener University requires all prospective employees to provide proof of being fully vaccinated (including booster) against COVID-19 prior to employment or apply and be approved for a medical/religious exemption. Offers may be rescinded if new employee does not provide proof of being fully vaccinated in a timely manner.
Widener University, an independent, metropolitan, doctoral-intensive university, connects curricula to social issues through civic engagement. Dynamic teaching, active scholarship, personal attention and experiential learning are key components of the Widener Experience. Located in Chester, PA, Widener's main campus is nestled between Philadelphia, PA and Wilmington, DE, with Law Schools located in both Harrisburg and Wilmington. For more information about the university, please visit our website at www.widener.edu.