Widener University Delaware Law School is seeking a Campus Safety Lieutenant of Operations to join our team. Reporting to the Assistant Director of Campus Safety – Technology and Campus Engagement, the Lieutenant of Operations position is responsible for ensuring the safety and general well-being of all University community members, safeguarding university property and enforcing university policies and rules.
This role will oversee the performance of staff on assigned shifts and campus while fostering good community relations and providing professional service. The Lieutenant must conduct themselves in a professional manner and display courtesy to all individuals with whom they have contact.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (including, but not limited to):
- Oversee the safety and security of the Delaware Law School campus.
- Provide first-line supervision of all subordinate personnel assigned to their shift including, but not limited to, Campus Safety Officers, Sergeants, and student employees of the Campus Safety Department.
- Supervise campus safety staff by, including but not limited, ensuring that shifts are fully staffed, assessing the performance of staff, maintaining attendance/payroll records.
- Serve as lead officer in campus safety investigations.
- Ensure communication between senior administration and Campus Safety Officers.
- Prepare reports accurately and objectively detailing incidents on campus. Review all reports submitted by shift staff to ensure accuracy and completeness.
- Ensure reports of irregularities such as fire hazards, facilities malfunctions, physical altercations, accidents and criminal activities are documented for corrective action.
- Patrol university building and grounds; examines entrances, windows and internal doors to determine that they are secure. Perform foot patrols, bicycle patrols and vehicular patrols as needed. Primary type of patrol is foot patrol (which requires individuals to walk for their shift) across the University, throughout buildings, University properties and any designated areas. These shifts average 8 hours and are outdoors.
- Coordinate with Assistant Director to ensure coverage for university events and programs.
- Allocate department’s resources, including but not limited to, procuring uniforms, equipment, and supplies.
- Maintain and updates department documents and manuals.
- Responsible for payroll and scheduling.
- Ensure communication between Campus Safety administration and Campus Safety Officers.
- Ensure monthly compliance with life safety equipment inspections for fire extinguishers and automated external defibrillator
- Interact with local and state police officials.
- Responsible for the on-the-job training of all personnel assigned to their shift and documentation of same.
- Ensures that officers are in their proper uniform, through inspection of uniforms and equipment.
- Instill decorum of honesty and professionalism within themselves and the employees assigned to them and adheres to the chain-of-command whenever practical.
- Perform duties of a Campus Safety Officer as needed.
- Responsible for conducting formal training classes for Security Officers and the community as needed.
- Handles other public safety operations issues as assigned by the Executive Director of Campus Safety.
- Performs other duties as directed or assigned
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: (education/training and experience required)
- High School diploma or equivalent
- Eight (8+) years progressive law enforcement, campus or public safety experience.
- Five (5) years in a progressively responsible supervisory role.
- Demonstrable in-depth knowledge of all phases of emergency management.
- Demonstrable in-depth knowledge of all facets of police work, including but not limited to policies, procedures, rules, regulations, community policing and evidence procedures and storage.
- Demonstrated experience in the development and implementation of emergency plans and training exercises as well as assessment of same.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office software applications.
- Strong leadership and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to effectively communicate within all levels of the organization, including briefing executive management on the status of security issues.
- Familiarity with the Clery Act, compliance and submitting Annual Campus Security and Fire Safety Report.
- Emotional maturity to understand the impact, sensitivity and confidentiality of security issues.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Familiarity with other technical solutions.
- Valid driver’s license required for work-related travel and proof of insurability.
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
• Knowledge of the Clery Act and associated regulations.
• Experience in higher education.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND/OR UNUSUAL WORK HOURS:
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including evening and weekend coverage assignments if needed
- Ability to walk for extended periods of time.
- Ability to walk up and down steps both inside and outside of buildings.
- Ability to walk outdoors in your assigned area in all types of weather conditions.
- Ability to stand and/or sit for extended periods of time both inside and outside of buildings.
- Ability to lift objects weighing up to 35 lbs.
Qualified candidates must submit resume for consideration. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Only those selected to interview will be contacted.
Widener University is committed to fostering an inclusive community in which faculty, staff, and students from a variety of backgrounds, cultures, and personal experiences are welcomed and can thrive. We are an equal opportunity employer and are committed to providing equal educational and employment opportunities for all persons without regard to age, color, national origin, race, religion, disability, veteran status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, or status as a protected veteran.
Widener University requires all prospective employees to provide proof of being fully vaccinated (including booster) against COVID-19 prior to employment or apply and be approved for a medical/religious exemption. Offers may be rescinded if new employee does not provide proof of being fully vaccinated in a timely manner.
Widener University, an independent, metropolitan, doctoral-intensive university, connects curricula to social issues through civic engagement. Dynamic teaching, active scholarship, personal attention and experiential learning are key components of the Widener Experience. Located in Chester, PA, Widener's main campus is nestled between Philadelphia, PA and Wilmington, DE, with Law Schools located in both Harrisburg and Wilmington. For more information about the university, please visit our website at www.widener.edu.