Widener University is currently seeking full-time, 3rd Shift Campus Safety Officers. This position is outdoors and averages 40 hours a week, 10 hours a day, 11:00 PM to 9:00 AM. This position reports to the Lieutenant on duty.
Campus Safety Officers are responsible for ensuring the safety and general well-being of all University community members, safeguarding university property and enforcing university policies and rules. Emphasis will be on responding to all calls for service and fostering good community relations and providing professional service.
Pay Rate – $16.83 an hour
Sign-On Bonus – All new hires who remain in good standing and successfully complete the training program become eligible to receive a one-time stipend of $500.00 after 3 months of employment. All new hires who are in good standing and successfully completed the training program, become eligible to receive another one-time stipend after 6 months of employment of $1,000.00.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (including, but not limited to):
- Officers are assigned to a specific shift. Primary type of patrol is foot patrol (which requires officers to walk for their shift) across the University, throughout buildings, University properties and any designated area. Officers will have a specific area of assignment.
- Other types of patrols in a patrol area are vehicle patrol, parking lot, residence halls, main office or other assignments as directed by supervisors. Every officer will perform every type of patrol based on assignment by supervisor.
- Officers will respond to all calls for service in a professional and timely manner, perform an initial investigation, if necessary, and work to resolve the situation.
- Respond to reports of irregularities such as fire hazards, facilities/mechanical malfunctions, physical altercations, accidents and criminal activities. Notifies dispatcher if police, fire or ambulance units are required.
- Prepares reports accurately and objectively detailing incidents on campus.
- Interact with local and state police officials.
- Performs other duties as assigned or directed.
- Flexibility to work additional shifts as needed or required, including but not limited to the dispatch office on campus
- Provide event security services for campus athletic/special events
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS (education/training and experience required):
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Valid driver’s license with evidence of insurability
- Minimum one (1) year of experience in a customer service or security related field
- Demonstrated professionalism with campus interactions and community
- Knowledge of use and ability to proficiently operate a computer, radio or equipment located in a vehicle or hand held with a general aptitude with technology
- Demonstrated ability to tactfully and effectively communicate (written and verbal) with the university community and colleagues
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment
- Ability to follow established procedures when called to handle difficult situations or events
- Must successfully pass a criminal background check to include the PA Criminal PA Child Abuse and FBI clearance. Additionally, successful candidates must pass an in-depth motor vehicle clearance
- Experience working in higher education or a school environment
- Law enforcement, military, campus or public safety experience
- Familiarity with the local area and surrounding community
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND/OR UNUSUAL HOURS:
- Ability to walk for extended periods of time
- Ability to walk up and down steps both inside and outside of buildings
- Ability to walk outdoors in your assigned area in all types of weather conditions
- Ability to stand and/or sit for extended periods of time both inside and outside of buildings
- Ability to lift objects weighing up to 35 lbs.
- Ability to work overtime as required and on a volunteer basis
Qualified candidates must submit a resume for consideration. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Only those selected to interview will be contacted.
Widener University is committed to fostering an inclusive community in which faculty, staff, and students from a variety of backgrounds, cultures, and personal experiences are welcomed and can thrive. We are an equal opportunity employer and are committed to providing equal educational and employment opportunities for all persons without regard to age, color, national origin, race, religion, disability, veteran status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, or status as a protected veteran.
Widener University requires all prospective employees to provide proof of being fully vaccinated (including booster) against COVID-19 prior to employment or apply and be approved for a medical/religious exemption. Offers may be rescinded if new employee does not provide proof of being fully vaccinated in a timely manner.
Some positions may be eligible for a hybrid or remote work arrangement that may include a partially or fully remote work location, consistent with Widener’s Flexible Work policy.
Widener University, an independent, metropolitan, doctoral-intensive university, connects curricula to social issues through civic engagement. Dynamic teaching, active scholarship, personal attention and experiential learning are key components of the Widener Experience. Located in Chester, PA, Widener's main campus is nestled between Philadelphia, PA and Wilmington, DE, with Law Schools located in both Harrisburg and Wilmington. For more information about the university, please visit our website at www.widener.edu.