Widener University is currently seeking a Senior Manager, Internal Communications within the University Relations team. Reporting to the Executive Director of Communications for Widener University, this role will work departmentally to develop and execute strategies to communicate key messages to Widener’s internal audiences and partner with a variety of university constituents to develop effective communication tools and content.
This role will be responsible for writing clear and consistent messaging for a variety of internal channels. Additionally, the Senior Manager will play an important role in developing an innovative internal communications strategy.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (including, but not limited to):
- Contribute to and execute an ongoing strategic internal communications plan for the university in partnership with University Relations and leadership.
- Develop messaging based on leadership direction of key university strategies, goals and initiatives. Ensure these messages and other relevant information are communicated to all internal audiences including faculty, staff, and students.
- Partner with Human Resources to craft communications with all employees.
- Develop, write, design, and edit content for multiple internal communications channels including email newsletters, intranet, digital signage, and various printed materials.
- Review and evaluate consistencies of internal communications messages across all mediums and departments throughout the organization.
- Work cross-functionally across university teams to strategize and contribute to effective internal communication.
- Research and implement new channels to expand the reach of the university’s internal communications.
- Serve as a resource and provide support to various university departments with their internal communications goals and initiatives.
- Contribute to various communications projects within the University Relations department as assigned.
- Performing other job-related duties as assigned or directed.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications or related field
- Minimum of five (5+) years of communications experience in writing and executing communications messages and strategies within an organization
- Minimum one year of internal communications experience.
- Excellent writing and copywriting skills, and oral communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and manage multiple tasks on deadline.
- A creative approach to internal communications.
- Demonstrated experience in Microsoft Office (word, excel, outlook, etc.)
- Ability to build internal and external client relationships
- Experience using and writing for a variety of traditional and digital channels, including social media.
- Ability to shoot and edit digital photography.
- Experience in an eNewsletter platform
- Experience in Higher Education.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND/OR UNUSUAL HOURS:
- Position requires some evening and weekend assignments.
- Moderate amount of standing, walking, climbing stairs, bending and kneeling.
- Occasional travel between university campuses required.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and a vehicle.
Qualified candidates must submit resume, cover letter and a minimum of two writing samples for consideration. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Only those selected to interview will be contacted.
Widener University is committed to fostering an inclusive community in which faculty, staff, and students from a variety of backgrounds, cultures, and personal experiences are welcomed and can thrive. We are an equal opportunity employer and are committed to providing equal educational and employment opportunities for all persons without regard to age, color, national origin, race, religion, disability, veteran status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, or status as a protected veteran.
Widener University requires all prospective employees to provide proof of taking the primary vaccination series against COVID-19 prior to employment or apply and be approved for a medical/religious exemption. Offers may be rescinded if the new employee does not provide proof of taking the primary vaccination series in a timely manner.
Some positions may be eligible for a hybrid or remote work arrangement that may include a partially or fully remote work location, consistent with Widener’s Flexible Work policy.
Widener University, an independent, metropolitan, doctoral-intensive university, connects curricula to social issues through civic engagement. Dynamic teaching, active scholarship, personal attention and experiential learning are key components of the Widener Experience. Located in Chester, PA, Widener's main campus is nestled between Philadelphia, PA and Wilmington, DE, with Law Schools located in both Harrisburg and Wilmington. For more information about the university, please visit our website at www.widener.edu.