Widener University is currently seeking a Loan Servicing Specialist/Debt Collector in the Loan Collection Office. Reporting to, and under the supervision of the Director of Loans/Collections, the Loan Servicing Specialist/Debt Collector will perform a variety of Loan Servicing and Collection functions in connection with most Higher Education Loans, which will encompass all aspects of the life of the loan from the approval process through final payment.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (including, but not limited to):
- Manage the life cycle of the loan, including collections activities, while complying with all laws and regulations as they pertain to the loan.
- Investigate and resolve any complaints.
- Data entry required along with keeping accurate records on all students/borrowers.
- Develop new relationships and maintain existing relationships while working with customers throughout the loan process and loan life cycle.
- Educate students/borrowers on the terms and conditions of their loan to ensure a clear understanding, thus being able to present financial solutions based on customer needs.
- Other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS (education/training and experience required):
- Associates Degree (AA) or equivalent from a two year college or technical school, plus a minimum of six (6) months strong customer service skills in a financial institution or other professional office or organization. A combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Knowledge of relevant legal requirements mandated.
- Must process speaking and listening skills along with negotiation and conflict resolution skills
- Must be able to work independently, with an attention to detail and be able to prioritize duties as they are assigned.
- Proven organizational skills with demonstrated ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to read and follow oral and written instructions.
- Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to communicate information and ideas. Must be able to exchange accurate information.
- Demonstrated ability to interact effectively and with good customer service skills with students, staff, faculty and external constituents.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals. Ability to use a basic calculator.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram or schedule form.
- Familiarity with Windows-based computer required. Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite. (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Using relevant information and individual judgment to determine whether transactions or processes within the scope of authority to comply with department of educational regulations, banking regulations, and collection practices and standards.
- Experience using Ellucian Colleague
- 2 + years in a Customer Service role
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND/OR UNUSUAL HOURS:
- Must be able to remain stationary working at computer in excess of 70% of time.
- May be asked to work with team members on occasional weekends.
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Widener University is committed to fostering an inclusive community in which faculty, staff, and students from a variety of backgrounds, cultures, and personal experiences are welcomed and can thrive. We are an equal opportunity employer and are committed to providing equal educational and employment opportunities for all persons without regard to age, color, national origin, race, religion, disability, veteran status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, or status as a protected veteran.
Widener University requires all prospective employees to provide proof of taking the primary vaccination series against COVID-19 prior to employment or apply and be approved for a medical/religious exemption. Offers may be rescinded if the new employee does not provide proof of taking the primary vaccination series in a timely manner.
Some positions may be eligible for a hybrid or remote work arrangement that may include a partially or fully remote work location, consistent with Widener’s Flexible Work policy.
Widener University, an independent, metropolitan, doctoral-intensive university, connects curricula to social issues through civic engagement. Dynamic teaching, active scholarship, personal attention and experiential learning are key components of the Widener Experience. Located in Chester, PA, Widener's main campus is nestled between Philadelphia, PA and Wilmington, DE, with Law Schools located in both Harrisburg and Wilmington. For more information about the university, please visit our website at www.widener.edu.