Widener University is currently seeking a full-time 2nd Shift Campus Safety Lieutenant located in Chester, PA. This position operates outdoors and averages 40 hours a week, 10 hours a day, 3:00 PM to 1:00 AM. This position reports to the Associate Director of Campus Safety Operations, and also provides supervision of all shift personnel assigned to their shift including, but not limited to, Campus Safety Officers, Corporals/ Dispatchers, Sergeants, van and shuttle drivers and student employees of the Office of Campus Safety. This position also provides support to visitors, students, and staff on the Widener University campus.
Starting Shift Pay Rate – $22.48 per hour
Sign-On Bonus – All new hires who remain in good standing and successfully complete the training program become eligible to receive a one-time stipend of $500.00 after 3 months of employment. All new hires who are in good standing and successfully completed the training program, become eligible to receive another one-time stipend after 6 months of employment of $1,000.00.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (including, but not limited to):
- Lieutenants are assigned to a specific shift. Primary type of patrol is foot patrol (which requires individuals to walk for their shift) across the University, throughout buildings, University properties and any designated areas.
- Supervises their shift by preparing and assigning work schedules, sectors/assignments, tasks/responsibilities, and special/athletic events.
- Monitors work progress, incident response, and evaluates job performance.
- Reviews all reports submitted by subordinate staff during the shift to ensure accuracy and completeness prior to being relieved of duty. Makes revisions as needed.
- Responds to reports of irregularities such as fire hazards, facilities/mechanical malfunctions, physical altercations, accidents and criminal activities. Notifies dispatcher if police, fire or ambulance units are required.
- Ensures employee/students transportation requests are completed as required.
- Responsible for the on-the-job training of all personnel assigned to their shift.
- Oversees payroll and scheduling.
- Performs duties of a Campus Safety Corporal or Officer as needed.
- Interact with local and state police officials.
- Performs other duties as assigned or directed.
- Flexibility to work additional shifts as needed or required, including but not limited to the dispatch office
- Assist with University athletic/special events
- Able to operate the Campus1Card system and distribute parking permits
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS (education/training and experience required):
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Valid Driver’s License
- Eight (8+) years progressive law enforcement, campus or public safety experience.
- Five (5+) years in a progressively responsible supervisory role.
- Demonstrable in-depth knowledge of all phases of emergency management.
- Demonstrable in-depth knowledge of all facets of police work, including but not limited to policies, procedures, rules, regulations, community policing and evidence procedures and storage.
- Demonstrated experience in the development and implementation of emergency plans and training exercises as well as assessment of same.
- Able to work a flexible schedule, including evening and weekend coverage assignments if needed
- Strong leadership and interpersonal skills
- Ability to effectively communicate within all levels of the organization, including briefing executive management on the status of security issues
- Emotional maturity to understand the impact, sensitivity and confidentiality of security issues
- Technology oriented
- Ability to supervise a small to medium sized public safety staff.
- Must successfully pass a criminal background check to include the PA Criminal PA Child Abuse and FBI clearance
- Experience working in higher education or a school environment
- Law enforcement, military, campus or public safety experience
- Familiarity with the local area and surrounding community
- Knowledge of the Clery Act and associated regulation
- Knowledge of criminal laws and departmental regulations and procedures
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND/OR UNUSUAL HOURS:
- Ability to walk for extended periods of time.
- Ability to walk up and down steps both inside and outside of buildings.
- Ability to walk outdoors in your assigned area in all types of weather conditions.
- Ability to stand and/or sit for extended periods of time both inside and outside of buildings.
- Ability to lift objects weighing up to 35 lbs.
- Ability to work required and voluntary overtime.
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Widener University is committed to fostering an inclusive community in which faculty, staff, and students from a variety of backgrounds, cultures, and personal experiences are welcomed and can thrive. We are an equal opportunity employer and are committed to providing equal educational and employment opportunities for all persons without regard to age, color, national origin, race, religion, disability, veteran status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, or status as a protected veteran.
Widener University requires all prospective employees to provide proof of taking the primary vaccination series against COVID-19 prior to employment or apply and be approved for a medical/religious exemption. Offers may be rescinded if the new employee does not provide proof of taking the primary vaccination series in a timely manner.
Widener University, an independent, metropolitan, doctoral-intensive university, connects curricula to social issues through civic engagement. Dynamic teaching, active scholarship, personal attention and experiential learning are key components of the Widener Experience. Located in Chester, PA, Widener's main campus is nestled between Philadelphia, PA and Wilmington, DE, with Law Schools located in both Harrisburg and Wilmington. For more information about the university, please visit our website at www.widener.edu.