Widener University is currently seeking a part-time Campus Safety Officer to join our Commonwealth Campus, located in Harrisburg, PA. The schedule for this shift is weekends from 4pm to 11pm. Campus Safety Officers are responsible for ensuring the safety and general well-being of all University community members, safe-guarding university property and enforcing university policies and rules. Emphasis will be on fostering good community relations and providing professional service. Officers must conduct themselves in a professional manner and display courtesy to all individuals with whom they have contact.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (including, but not limited to):
- Primary type of patrol is foot patrol (which requires officers to walk for their shift) across the University, throughout buildings, University properties and any designated area.
- Other types of patrols in a patrol area are vehicle patrol, parking lot, residence halls, main office or other assignments as directed by supervisors. Every officer will perform every type of patrol based on assignment by supervisor.
- Officers will respond to all calls for service in a professional and timely manner, perform an initial investigation, if necessary, and work to resolve the situation.
- Officer will patrol university building and grounds; examines entrances, windows and internal doors to determine that they are secure.
- Officers will ensure that facilities are opened for business and closed for business at designated times.
- Officers will build positive relationships with University community members and groups.
- Respond to reports of irregularities such as fire hazards, facilities/mechanical malfunctions, physical altercations, accidents and criminal activities. Notifies dispatcher if police, fire or ambulance units are required.
- Assists supervisors in campus safety investigations.
- Prepares reports accurately and objectively detailing incidents on campus.
- Escorts university community members to/from buildings and parking lots.
- Provides emergency transportation for university community.
- Issues verbal warning, parking tickets, and will immobilize vehicle upon supervisor approval.
- Interact with local and state police officials.
- Performs other duties as assigned or directed.
- Flexibility to work additional shifts as needed or required, including but not limited to the Safety office on campus.
- Performs other duties as assigned or directed.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS (education/training and experience required):
- High school diploma or equivalent
- A minimum of three (3) years of experience in a customer service or security related field.
- Valid driver's license
- Must have the ability to interact professionally with the public.
- Must successfully pass a criminal background check to include the PA Criminal PA Child Abuse and FBI.
- Previous experience working in higher education.
- Previous law enforcement, military, campus or public safety experience.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND/OR UNUSUAL HOURS:
- Ability to walk for extended periods of time.
- Ability to walk up and down steps both inside and outside of buildings.
- Ability to walk outdoors in your assigned area in all types of weather conditions.
- Ability to stand and/or sit for extended periods of time both inside and outside of buildings.
- Ability to lift objects weighing up to 35 lbs
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Widener University is committed to fostering an inclusive community in which faculty, staff, and students from a variety of backgrounds, cultures, and personal experiences are welcomed and can thrive. We are an equal opportunity employer and are committed to providing equal educational and employment opportunities for all persons without regard to age, color, national origin, race, religion, disability, veteran status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, or status as a protected veteran.
Widener University requires all prospective employees to provide proof of taking the primary vaccination series against COVID-19 prior to employment or apply and be approved for a medical/religious exemption. Offers may be rescinded if the new employee does not provide proof of taking the primary vaccination series in a timely manner.
Widener University, an independent, metropolitan, doctoral-intensive university, connects curricula to social issues through civic engagement. Dynamic teaching, active scholarship, personal attention and experiential learning are key components of the Widener Experience. Located in Chester, PA, Widener's main campus is nestled between Philadelphia, PA and Wilmington, DE, with Law Schools located in both Harrisburg and Wilmington. For more information about the university, please visit our website at www.widener.edu.