Widener University is currently seeking a Data Specialist in the Office of Advancement Services within the University Advancement division. Reporting to the Director of Advancement Services, the Data Specialist is responsible for financial gift processing functions and biographical data of a database of 100,000+ constituent records for the Office of University Advancement. The Data Specialist position requires a high level of attention to detail, experience with collaboratively partnering with others and the ability to provide excellent customer service.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (including, but not limited to):
- Ensure the timely data entry of all transactions in database, including checks, online giving, credit card, cash, recurring gifts, payroll deductions, matching gifts, wire transfers/EFTs, gifts-in-kind, and event registrations.
- Assist efforts for matching gifts by obtaining verification, preparing/processing submission to the matching agency with all necessary documentation and recording the matching gift when it is received.
- Process all gift acknowledgment letters in a timely manner and update/tailor messaging as needed for all donations, including tribute letters for honor/memorial gifts or special fundraising initiatives in concert with the Director of Stewardship.
- Accurately input and update data and profile information as received from returned mail, e-mail, phone calls and other sources, such as donor contact reports, additional department websites and campus partner information. Monitor database records for accuracy and completeness.
- Assist in documenting procedures.
- Communicate effectively with other staff members, donors and volunteers providing appropriate information.
- Assist in planning, coordinating and executing best practices with regard to data integrity.
- Build queries, reports, imports/exports from the constituent database (Raiser’s Edge/NXT) to support all Alumni and Development functions according to parameters requested by Development officers and other staff members.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned or directed.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS (education/training and experience required):
- Must possess sound judgment; effective organizational, prioritization and follow-through skills; attention to detail; accuracy; dependability; tact; and ability to maintain confidential information.
- Experience in a data-driven environment.
- Ability to learn complex data entry codes and procedures quickly
- Strong commitment to customer service
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to multi-task and coordinate several projects simultaneously.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Intermediate experience with Microsoft applications and Raisers Edge/other fundraising software experience preferred.
- Ability to analyze data for appropriate gift processing. Recognize complex transactions and follow established policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of fundraising and advancement systems and advancement management procedures. Experience in a higher education or non-profit setting a plus.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND/OR UNUSUAL HOURS:
- Sitting for extended periods of time.
- End of calendar/fiscal year gift processing when university may be closed.
Qualified candidates must submit a resume and cover letter for consideration. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Only those selected to interview will be contacted.
Widener University is committed to fostering an inclusive community in which faculty, staff, and students from a variety of backgrounds, cultures, and personal experiences are welcomed and can thrive. We are an equal opportunity employer and are committed to providing equal educational and employment opportunities for all persons without regard to age, color, national origin, race, religion, disability, veteran status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, or status as a protected veteran.
Widener University requires all prospective employees to provide proof of being fully vaccinated (including booster) against COVID-19 prior to employment or apply and be approved for a medical/religious exemption. Offers may be rescinded if new employee does not provide proof of being fully vaccinated in a timely manner.
Some positions may be eligible for a hybrid or remote work arrangement that may include a partially or fully remote work location, consistent with Widener’s Flexible Work policy.
Widener University, an independent, metropolitan, doctoral-intensive university, connects curricula to social issues through civic engagement. Dynamic teaching, active scholarship, personal attention and experiential learning are key components of the Widener Experience. Located in Chester, PA, Widener's main campus is nestled between Philadelphia, PA and Wilmington, DE, with Law Schools located in both Harrisburg and Wilmington. For more information about the university, please visit our website at www.widener.edu.