Widener University School of Engineering invites applications for the Founding Department Chair and Tenure Track Associate Professor for the newly created Construction Management Program. We anticipate welcoming the inaugural class of first-year students in the Fall of 2024. Reporting to the Dean of Engineering, this newly-created role will be a key member of the School of Engineering leadership team and will serve as the lead for the Construction Management program.
The Department Chair will develop the short and long-term direction for the Construction Management program and is responsible for the overall management and administration of the program including:
- Lead curricular and accreditation matters.
- Participate in collaborative activities across disciplines
- Serve as a liaison with industry partners for enhanced educational and networking opportunities for students
- Develop and sustain an externally funded research program
- Develop, plan, implement and evaluate programs.
- Develop and maintain departmental budget
- Provide fiscal management of personnel and faculty resources, and equipment
- Mange the assessment of performance faculty and staff
- Program and student assessment
- Application of initial accreditation/maintenance of future accreditations
- Identifying strategies for professional development for self and faculty
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (including, but not limited to):
A significant portion of the Program Director’s annual workload is dedicated to the management and administration of the program. As a new program, initially this will entail significant work in curriculum development, hiring faculty and staff, equipping the laboratories, launching the program, and preparing for accreditation.
- Oversee and direct the program including strategic planning and partnerships, curriculum development and implementation, program evaluation, selection of faculty and staff, budget management, student admission and progression.
- Direct activities to obtain initial accreditation and maintain compliance with accreditation standards.
- Oversee student learning outcome assessment process in accordance with Widener University’s assessment plan.
- Develop and manage budget.
- Manage review of student performance, retention and probationary process.
- Develop and implement a program strategic plan that is congruent with the Widener University’s plan.
- Supervise faculty and staff.
- Coordinate faculty professional development in collaboration with faculty.
- Manage faculty course load and adjunct faculty needs.
- Develop collaborative partnerships within and outside of Widener University.
- Teaching, professional development and scholarship.
- Participate in organizing and conducting School of Engineering and department’s outreach events.
- Participation in university shared governance responsibilities.
- Develop and teach courses in the undergraduate program.
- Ensure courses and syllabi are current and available to all students in conjunction with faculty.
- Demonstrate competency in knowledge and skills in teaching as evidenced by supervisor and student evaluations.
- Participate in team and/or interdisciplinary teaching.
- Maintain regular office hours; guide or support students who reach out for assistance; identify students who are struggling and need extra attention or support to be successful (through use of email, phone or other appropriate means of communication).
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS (education/training and experience required):
- Master’s degree in engineering
- 10 or more years of experience in construction management.
- Extensive knowledge and expertise in the key areas of construction management
- A record of teaching effectiveness and in the key areas of construction management including but not limited to, planning, budgeting, coordinating, and/or administration.
- Previous administrative experience in the following:
- Personnel management
- Program budgeting
- Program planning and implementation
- Excellent interpersonal skills, and written and oral communication abilities.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the education, certification, and scope of practice of the registered dietitian nutritionist.
- Publish scholarly work in peer-reviewed technical journals
- Demonstrate scholarly inquiry and awareness of current professional trends
- Candidates with doctorate degree in related engineering fields are welcome to apply.
- Teaching experience in higher education
- Program development in higher education (degree, certification, etc.)
- Experience managing a budget in a setting with many competing objectives.
- Commitment to an open-door policy of communication and interaction with all constituents.
Salary and rank will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. The position will remain open until filled.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND/OR UNUSUAL HOURS:
- Some evenings and weekends may be required for events.
- Ability to sit and work at computer for long periods. Ability to conduct business on phone and answer in a timely manner. Ability to move between offices, floors and buildings on campus.
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Widener University is committed to fostering an inclusive community in which faculty, staff, and students from a variety of backgrounds, cultures, and personal experiences are welcomed and can thrive. We are an equal opportunity employer and are committed to providing equal educational and employment opportunities for all persons without regard to age, color, national origin, race, religion, disability, veteran status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, or status as a protected veteran.
Widener University requires all prospective employees to provide proof of taking the primary vaccination series against COVID-19 prior to employment or apply and be approved for a medical/religious exemption. Offers may be rescinded if the new employee does not provide proof of taking the primary vaccination series in a timely manner.
Widener University, an independent, metropolitan, doctoral-intensive university, connects curricula to social issues through civic engagement. Dynamic teaching, active scholarship, personal attention and experiential learning are key components of the Widener Experience. Located in Chester, PA, Widener's main campus is nestled between Philadelphia, PA and Wilmington, DE, with Law Schools located in both Harrisburg and Wilmington. For more information about the university, please visit our website at www.widener.edu.