Widener University is currently seeking a Head Coach of E-Sports in the Department of Athletics. The Head Coach coaches an E-Sports team of over 30 participants at varying levels of proficiency in their events for competitions against regional and national collegiate E-Sports programs. The team will travel and compete at regional E-Sports events. The Head Coach will be responsible for the recruitment and retention of a group of highly competitive E-Sports students for Widener University. Reporting to the Director of Athletics, this role provides support to Widener University Office of Student Affairs.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (including, but not limited to):
- Develop, enhance and manage a collegiate E-Sports program in accordance with Appalachian E-Sports Conference and Widener University guidelines.
- Responsible for daily facility operations, individual and team coaching, practice planning and game preparation, student recruiting, student evaluation, student academic monitoring, staff management, coordinating on and off campus recruiting, budget management, coordinating personal and team travel.
- Managing student workers within the program.
- Social Media marketing and management
- Compile and edit promotional videos for program. Create promotional graphics/video for promoting Widener E-Sports
- Organize events with local high school and colleges to promote Widener E-Sports
- IT/Tech support for E-Sports facility
- Managing stream broadcasts for Widener E-Sports
- Understand and abide by all external and internal regulations and policies of the following E-Sports organizations (NACE, CLoL, CRL, ACES, Activision Blizzard Collegiate, AVGL, Appalachian E-Sports Conference).
- The candidate is responsible for the hiring and supervision of a qualified assistant coaching staff.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS (education/training and experience required):
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Demonstrable knowledge of the E-Sports industry with experience as a coach and competitor.
- Candidates should have applicable coaching experience in one or more of the following: Valorant, League of Legends, Hearthstone, Rocket League, Super Smash Bros. and Overwatch.
- Strong interpersonal skill set with experience in team management.
- A clean, valid driver’s license with evidence of insurability
- Experience in recruiting and retention of collegiate and/or high school student-athletes and student-athlete academic monitoring.
- Appropriate certifications in CPR and First Aid
- A minimum of 3 -5 years of related experience in coaching E-Sports at the collegiate level
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND/OR UNUSUAL HOURS:
- Night and/or weekend hours may be required.
- Occasional lifting of weight over 40 pounds.
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Widener University is committed to fostering an inclusive community in which faculty, staff, and students from a variety of backgrounds, cultures, and personal experiences are welcomed and can thrive. We are an equal opportunity employer and are committed to providing equal educational and employment opportunities for all persons without regard to age, color, national origin, race, religion, disability, veteran status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, or status as a protected veteran.
Widener University requires all prospective employees to provide proof of taking the primary vaccination series against COVID-19 prior to employment or apply and be approved for a medical/religious exemption. Offers may be rescinded if the new employee does not provide proof of taking the primary vaccination series in a timely manner.
Some positions may be eligible for a hybrid or remote work arrangement that may include a partially or fully remote work location, consistent with Widener’s Flexible Work policy.
Widener University, an independent, metropolitan, doctoral-intensive university, connects curricula to social issues through civic engagement. Dynamic teaching, active scholarship, personal attention and experiential learning are key components of the Widener Experience. Located in Chester, PA, Widener's main campus is nestled between Philadelphia, PA and Wilmington, DE, with Law Schools located in both Harrisburg and Wilmington. For more information about the university, please visit our website at www.widener.edu.