Widener University seeks an Administrative Support Specialist in the Office of Graduate International Compliance and Legal Studies (GICLS). This role will be responsible for various administrative duties supporting the office's mission and creating a vibrant and exciting campus community. The Administrative Support Specialist will assist all professional staff throughout the office with projects, facility coordination, International Agreement document management, and vendor management.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (including, but not limited to):
- Answer the main department telephone, answer inquiries, screen and route callers, and reply to questions in accordance with office procedures and policies;
- Manage the electronic calendar and scheduling function for the Assistant Dean of Graduate International Compliance and Legal Studies, and other department professional staff as needed
- Assist with the facilitation of department committee meetings including scheduling, agenda development, preparation of meeting correspondence, and the arrangement of refreshments
- Greet, screen, and direct callers to appropriate staff members; answer telephone; take messages, screen calls and reply to questions in accordance with general instructions and office procedures and policies; transmit instructions and/or information to and from staff members
- Operate standard office equipment to include personal computer and related software, copy machines, and printers as required
- Prepare all check requests, reimbursement forms, purchasing card expense reports, journal entries and invoice transmittal forms as needed
- Screen, sort and distribute mail, packages, and documents accordingly; determine which items to respond to independently or which to bring to the Assistant Dean’s attention
- Work collaboratively with a wide variety of key constituents in multiple units and departments inside and outside GICLS to enhance departmental communications and effectiveness.
- Ensure the proper maintenance of all office equipment and order supplies, as needed
- Prepare welcome bags for international students.
- Order local Pennsylvania and Delaware attraction guides for welcome packets for visiting international students.
- Prepare and submit textbook orders.
- visiting international students.
- Develop student surveys for incoming students, graduating students, and alums.
- Maintain resumes for faculty and potential faculty.
- Initiate adjunct faculty hiring process.
- Organize and maintain all hard copy and electronic departmental files, including all vendor correspondences and copies of important business paperwork
- Prepare letters, reports, and other related forms of written communication starting from rough draft to the final corrected copy, and ensures correctness in formatting, spelling and grammar
- Compile statistics, prepare reports, and create presentations as requested using various Microsoft Office applications, but specifically Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
- Provide additional support during Orientation and Summer Programs and other peak times throughout the year.
- Manage high volume of office traffic and interaction with the campus community; maintain a clean and organized and professional appearance for all main office areas
- Consistently serve as an advocate for diversity and cross-cultural understanding to create a welcoming campus to all students
- Maintain historical binder of advertising materials.
- Perform other duties as needed.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS (education/training and experience required):
- High School Diploma
- Valid state driver’s license
- 2 – 4 years of administrative experience in a service-oriented environment or any combination of experience, training or education, which provides the necessary skills and knowledge
- Mastery of Office 365, OneDrive, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, desktop publishing, and internet search software capable of creating calendars, flyers and pamphlets
- Excellent communication skills (i.e. grammar, vocabulary) to be applied to telephone and written communications such as email, letters, and memos
- Superior interpersonal skills with a demonstrated ability to interact effectively with students, support, and professional staff in a high-volume office
- Associates Degree.
- Demonstrated knowledge and / or experience in a student-focused environment and a commitment to professional standards of behavior.
- Basic experience in event planning or a closely related field
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND/OR UNUSUAL HOURS:
- Evening and weekend hours are occasionally required
- Lifting up to 25 lbs.
- Frequent walking, standing and climbing stairs
- Good manual dexterity
- Ability to be mobile between workstation and other buildings on campus
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Widener University is committed to fostering an inclusive community in which faculty, staff, and students from a variety of backgrounds, cultures, and personal experiences are welcomed and can thrive. We are an equal opportunity employer and are committed to providing equal educational and employment opportunities for all persons without regard to age, color, national origin, race, religion, disability, veteran status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, or status as a protected veteran.
Some positions may be eligible for a hybrid or remote work arrangement that may include a partially or fully remote work location, consistent with Widener’s Flexible Work policy.
Widener University, an independent, metropolitan, doctoral-intensive university, connects curricula to social issues through civic engagement. Dynamic teaching, active scholarship, personal attention and experiential learning are key components of the Widener Experience. Located in Chester, PA, Widener's main campus is nestled between Philadelphia, PA and Wilmington, DE, with Law Schools located in both Harrisburg and Wilmington. For more information about the university, please visit our website at www.widener.edu.